But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’”
The Bible tells us that God breathed into man and he became a living being. (Gen 2:7) It also tells us that all Scripture is God-breathed. (2 Tim 3:16-17, NIV ) This means that when we read the Bible or listen to God’s Word preached, we are breathing in the very breath of God which give life. Just as we need natural food daily for physical sustenance, likewise we need God’s words daily for spiritual sustenance.
Some of the benefits of God’s words are:
- Live healthy life (Pro 4:22) for they are life to those who find them, and health to one’s whole body.
- Gives success (Jos 1:8) For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.
- Keeps from sin (Psa 119:9) How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your words.
- Gives hope (Psa 119:81) My soul longs for your salvation; I hope in your word.
- Brings comfort (Psa 119:50) This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life
- Sustain in hard times (Psa 119:92) If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction.
- Shield (Psa 119:114) You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your word.
- Gives Peace (Psa 119:165) Great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble
- Build faith (Rom 10:17) Faith comes from hearing and hearing by the word of God
So whatever we do, remember to get daily feeding of God’s Word. Read Bible in the comfort of home or in the office during lunch break. Play MP3 audio bible while driving to work or doing household chores. There are many creative ways to get into His Word.
We cannot live when we stop breathing. In the same way, we cannot live without the Word because it is the very breath of God which gives us life and health!